Wednesday, May 19

Camp Out

Last week, Dan and I took a trip to Bear Creek Lake State Park, a small park in central Virginia.  It was nice to get away from everyone else and just enjoy each other's company (for the first time in 6 or 7 months!) without expectations from anyone else to be here or there.  The first day of our trip, though, was spent almost entirely in our tent, since it rained the whole day!  Although, we both did kind of enjoy spending a day reading and napping and talking with each other (without the use of a cell phone!).  I took charge of the cooking and actually prepared lots of delicious meals before I left for the campsite on Monday.  I went for a completely vegetarian menu for the reason that meats are a little more worrisome when keeping everything in a cooler (is it going to stay cold enough?  will the meat contaminate other things while sitting in there? and so on...).  Some of the main events of the menu included Blueberry Pancakes (cooked on a camp stove), Teriyaki Tofu with Veggies and Soba Noodles (cooked in foil over the fire), Black Bean Enchiladas (cooked in a dutch oven), and one super delicious Apple Pie (also using the dutch oven).  I was really proud of how everything turned out, I can't wait to do it again!
eating my apples and oatmeal concoction for breakfast on the last day

On our second day, the day we had to pack up and leave, the sun came out and the air warmed up enough to put on some shorts!  Luckily, we didn't have to be out of the site until 3pm, so there was plenty of time to relax and make some breakfast, and go walk on some of the parks trails.


turns out the best picture of the two of us was one where Dan didn't smile

I love stumbling upon colorful wildflowers!

The park wasn't all that big, but I guess I'm comparing to places near Blacksburg, which have long, secluded trails, leading to magnificent clearings.  I think if it had been sunny and warm on our first day, we would have rented out one of their little canoes and spent a little time on the water.




Where shall we go on our next camping trip?


*Note: The first and last pictures (the ones of me) are courtesy of DSF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails